Displaying items by tag: Shiva Cement
India: JSW Cement has acquired a promoters' share in Shiva Cement and has also launched an open offer to acquire a 32% stake from public shareholders in the company. JSW Cement, with Sun Investments Private and Reynold Traders, has made an open offer to the public equity shareholders of Shiva Cement to buy up to a 32% share in the company at a value of US$12.8m. In late September 2016 promoters of Shina Cement held a 37.15% stake, while public shareholders held the remaining 62.85%, according to Indian media.
India: Demonetisation of high value Indian rupee currency notes reduced cement demand by 45 – 50% in November 2016. Demand for cement fell across regions with the central region including Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh suffering the least, according to the Hindu newspaper. The decline has hit the industry when it was expecting an increase in demand stimulated by infrastructure development following the monsoon season.
A slowdown in real estate activity has particularly affected the cement industry as the majority of cement in the country is used by the realty sector. RP Gupta, chairman and managing director of Shiva Cement, said that contractors are finding it difficult to make cash payments for buying raw materials such as sand, bricks and stones as well as paying wages. Cement companies are reportedly trying to help dealers install bank or credit card payment machines to reduce cash-based transactions.
India: Shree Cement has denied that it is in talks to buy a majority stake in Shiva Cement describing media reports as ‘purely speculative.’ Local media had reported that Shree was considering buying Shiva for around US$0.22/share.
Shiva Cement has a 0.2Mt/yr cement plant near Rourkela in Sundergarh district in Odisha with on-going plans to upgrade the site to 1Mt/yr. The company also has captive limestone reserves in the area and produces both Sumangal
Nepal: Nepal has endorsed a US$360m Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) proposal made by China's Hongshi Holdings to establish a cement plant in Nepal in partnership with Nepal's Shiva Cement. This is the largest FDI pledge yet from China, according to the government officials.
China's Hongshi Holdings and Nepal's Shiva Cement reached an agreement in March 2015 to set up a cement plant in Nepal. Officials at the IBN said this is the third-largest FDI in cement plants in Nepal. As per the agreement, Hongshi Holdings will invest 70% in the project, while the Shiva Cement will invest the remaining amount.
According to Nepal's Cement Manufacturers' Association, there are more than 40 (mainly mini) cement plants in the country and domestic products only account for 85% of domestic consumption.
India: Shiva Cement's dispatches of cement and clinker in the April – June 2015 quarter rose by 16% year-on-year, according to MoneyControl.
Nepal: Two private companies have signed an agreement of joint venture investment worth US$300m for cement production in Nepal. The investment, one of the biggest in Nepal's cement sector, has a 7:3 equity structure between Hongshi Holdings Limited of China and Nepal's Shiva Cement.
"This project will adopt a dry process with the use of 95% domestic raw materials," Xu Youyuan, Executive Vice President of the Chinese company said at the signing ceremony. He added that Hongshi had been attracted to Nepal's market by its booming cement industry in 2012.
Addressing the ceremony, Finance Minister of Nepal, Ram Sharan Mahat, said that the signing of this project was a landmark between the economic ties of the two neighbours and that he was happy to see that Chinese investors had shown confidence in Nepal. He even suggested that Nepal might become a net exporter of cement in the coming years.
India: Shiva Cement has received approval for an Interim Business Plan for a 200,000Mt/yr capacity expansion as proposed by the Project Management Committee (PMC). Shiva Cement's board of directors has also approved the project. Besides, the PMC has been authorised to take decisions for leasing, sale, disposal, or to deal with the idle fixed assets in the best interest of the Shiva Cement.
India: Shiva Cement is planning to upgrade its cement production capacity to 1Mt/yr with an investment of US$45m. The cement producer currently has a capacity of 0.13Mt/yr at Rourkela in Odisha. The company has an agreement with ACC, who holds a 13% stake in Shiva Cement, to sell its entire production.
"Since we have the requisite land at our existing facility and all the approvals are in place, we expect the project to be completed by the first half 2015," said RP Gupta, chairman and managing director of Shiva Cement. In a second phase the company plans to further increase its capacity to 2Mt/yr.